Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dinnertime


I think most families these days have many forms of technology in their homes. TV's, computers, DS's, cell phones, Wii...the list goes on. I loooove technology. It helps me in so many aspects of my life. I mean...hello...pinterest alone is a reason for me to stay online all day, right? My Iphone is my right hand man, and I'm pretty sure my daughter thinks its hers too. My house, like many other, is FULL of technological gadgets for everyone.While I do love it, I think there is a time and place for everything.

I don't know how everyone's schedule is, but mine is out of control hectic. I have a child in school, another one with a lot of appointments these days. Homework, dinner, laundry, military gatherings...the list goes on. Its so very easy to get caught up in the hustle of day to day life. Its easy to feel overwhelmed. I also think its very easy to get disconnected from your family.


I'll be the first to admit...I have totally, without a doubt, 100% used technology to keep my children entertained while I handle other things. Really...who doesn't? There is one time during our day though, where technology is not allowed. All devices are turned off and out of sight. Dinnertime.


I think its sooo easy for families to get in the habit of eating in the living room in front of the T.V. Or eating separately in their bedrooms instead of altogether at a table.


I'm not saying I instituted a rule and outlined it in red on the front of our house that enforces dinner to be together at the table. It honestly just happened. Growing up, my family ate at the table together. My husband's did as well. So it seemed so natural for us to always eat together. Really...its one of my favorite times of the day. 


I just think that there are so many things that keep us distracted from the people that matter most in our lives. To me, its so important to take that time to turn everything off and give all of your attention to your significant other and children. Learn about their day. Be invested. Give them all of your attention. You won't regret it.


At dinner, we have a game that we play. Anistyn has called it "Good thing, Good thing, Bad thing." Basically, everyone goes around the table naming off two good things that happened to them that day. Then they name one bad thing that happened. There are two good because you have to keep things more positive than negative. It gives everyone a look at how your day went and to ask questions and be involved. Really, my daughter adores it. Its the first thing she says when we sit down to eat. 


I don't think there's a right or wrong method to raising your children when you have their best intentions at heart. For some families, eating separate might work them. If you think it isn't though, try eating together and playing the game. You'll never look back and think "I wish I had spent more time on the internet." But you might say "I wish I had spent more time with my kids."



1 comment:

  1. That is such an awesome game to play at the table! I agree. Eating around the table with electronics off is so important.

    ReplyDelete